Restless Peregrine

per·e·grine (pr-grn, -grn) adj. Foreign; alien. Roving or wandering; migratory; tending to travel and change settlements frequently.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Uninspired

It's amazing to me, sitting here in this grimy little internet cafe in the city at the end of two amazing days in the countryside, that I can't think of any way to begin this message. The last 4 days have been one constant tape-reel in my head, dutifully recording everything I wanted so desperately to tell. EVERYthing is story worthy - every single minute. And yet, now that I have the quiet and time to sit down and actually begin to tell I find the words have all escaped me. At least as far as words go, this evening I am totally uninspired.

Living with Timothy's family has been so far from any other trip I've ever taken (definitely in China, probably in any other country as well) . It's amazing how close to home a place that is utterly foreign can feel. Families are families all over the world, and this one has welcomed me in completely. I have surely been to more picturesque places and done more exciting things in this country, but I have never had 20 cups of tea with a pair of grandmothers in their home before, unfolding their miraculous life stories, or watched the sun set outside the oil-paper windows with a grandfather scrolling through the photos on my digital camera. Their stories deserve telling, but later, when my fingers and mind are not so lethargic.

Today's key words (for later elaboration): poker, 3-wheeled tractor, condom grab-bag, pit-toilets, beggar children, swivel skateboards in the people's park, smallest ever goldfish bowls, staring isn't staring if you're staring back, cream puffs, and ice cold inside and out.